Pure alcohol is very high in calories. For instance Everclear has 226 calories per 1.5 oz and is 190 proof (95%) alcohol, the rest basically is water. Technically Everclear is the lowest calorie alcohol if you compare it to the alcohol percentage. Calories vary from drink to drink but the key to getting the most bang for your buck is picking drinks with the best Calorie from Alcohol ratio.
Calories aren't the only reason to take it easy on alcohol. Not only do cocktails boost calories, they also have a powerful impact on your inhibitions.
Your resolve can be really strong when you are sober, but after a few drinks, you may find yourself mindlessly overeating the nuts, another slice of pizza, or whatever food is within striking distance.
Top Low Calorie Alcoholic Drinks
1. Sparkling wine is surprisingly low in calories, containing a mere 105 calories for a 140 ml glass.
2. White wine averages 91 calories per 140 ml glass. Sweeter wines will average an extra 20 calories. Pour your white wine into a long glass and top with soda water, adding volume to your drink without adding calories. Alternatively pop a couple of ice cubes into your wine glass.
3. Red wine comes in at 98 calories for every 140 ml glass.
4. Vodka comes in on average at 55 calories per 25 ml. Add plenty of ice and top with soda water for a long drink. A total of 70 calories a pop. Yippee! bring on the vodka...
5. Gin is also 55 calories per 25 ml. Add lots of ice, a slice of lime and 100 ml diet tonic. This delightful tipple will rob a mere 65 calories from your daily allowance.
6. A 25 ml of Whiskey topped with soda water has to be the lowest of all, hitting home at only 55 calories. Ye hay! A 25 ml of whiskey and 120 ml of ginger ale will set you back 95 calories.
7. A Martini averages 200 calories per glass, if you don't eat the olive. I say eat the olive. There's a lot of alcohol in that olive. To hell with the extra 8 calories.
8. A better choice would be a Bloody Mary with a celery stick! A bloody mary will cost you about 120 calories. Tomato juice is also full of vitamin C, which helps prevent a hangover the next morning. And celery is a zero calorie food. Three good reasons to drink bloody mary's.
9. A Tom Collins runs along side the bloody mary at a 120 calories per glass.
10. Guiness - Surprise SURPRISE... A bottle of Guiness Draught is only 125 Calories. Or as Guiness put it, "we never thought to check."